Over at the National Recreation and Park Association, they have a Top Ten list of park and recreation values. Those values are the reasons why parks are important everywhere, including Ypsilanti Township. They are listed here as important points to reflect on as the Ypsilanti Charter Township Recreation Master Plan is developed over the coming months.
The following summary is from the article, Top 10 Reasons Parks Are Important, by Richard J. Dolesh, Monica Hobbs Vinluan, and Michael Phillips:
- Public parks provide millions of Americans with the opportunity to be physically active.
- Parks have true economic benefits.
- Parks provide vital green space in a fast-developing American landscape.
- Parks preserve critical wildlife habitat.
- Parks and recreation facilitate social interactions.
- Leisure activities in parks improve moods, reduce stress and enhance a sense of wellness.
- Recreational programs provide organized, structured, enjoyable activities.
- Community recreation services provide a refuge of safety for at-risk youth.
- Therapeutic recreation is an outlet that individuals with disabilities have.
- Public parks embody the American tradition of preserving public lands.
More detail provided by the authors in the above link.